The original church that stood on this site was consecrated by Ambrose, Bishop of Milan in 393; Cosimo the Elder had it enlarged and remodeled by Brunelleschi. Inside there are works by Rosso Fiorentino, Desiderio da Settignano, Donatello and Bronzino. The church is flanked by the splendid, square-shaped Old Sacristy by Brunelleschi and the New Sacristy, by Michelangelo (1524), that houses the Medici family tombs. Along with the Baroque Chapel of the Princes, the New Sacristy comprises the museum of the Medici Chapels. To the left of the church is the Laurentian Library, also designed by Michelangelo, by order of the Medici family who wanted a place to conserve their fine collections of books, papyri and manuscripts. Not far from the San Lorenzo complex is the Mercato Centrale, or central market, a fine example of late 19th century steel and glass architecture.
Santa Maria del Fiore, the Gothic cathedral erected over the ancient basilica of Santa Reparata, was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio who began construction in 1296. Brunelleschi completed it in 1436 with the elegant dome, the inside of which was entirely frescoed by Vasari and Zuccari. The final phase in the construction of the cathedral, that is the completion of the fa?ade, dates from the mid-19th century. To the right of the cathedral rises the Bell Tower, or Campanile, designed by Giotto in 1334. The square tower is covered with red, green and white marble inlays, decorated with panels and carvings, and made graceful by double- and triple-windows. Opposite the Cathedral stands the green and white marble Baptistery of San Giovanni (1128), a masterpiece of Florentine Romanesque architecture. The interior of the dome is decorated with mosaics. The splendid bronze doors (including the Door of Paradise) were made by Andrea Pisano and Lorenzo Ghiberti. The Museo dell'Opera del Duomo houses artworks from Santa Maria del Fiore, the Baptistery and the Campanile, including sculptures that had been made for the cathedral fa?ade. The most important works in the museum are by Michelangelo ("Pietà"), Donatello ("Mary Magdalen", "Cantoria"), Arnolfo di Cambio ("Boniface VIII"), Luca della Robbia ("Cantoria").
Occupies the top floor of the famous building erected by Giorgio Vasari. and was created by Grand-duke Francesco I Medici. The Uffizi house also other art's collections: Contini Bonacossi Collection and the Collection of Prints and Drawings. The Vasari Corridor is the raised passageway that connect Uffizi with Pitti Palace.
This is one of the best known museums in Florence, because it houses famous sculptures by Michelangelo Buonarroti , including the "David". There are also many paintings, collected by the Grand Duke Peter Leopold to help the young artists enrolled in the Accademia d'Arte, which is still next door to the gallery.
This is the most typical example of privately commissioned Renaissance architecture. Cosimo the Elder commissioned Michelozzo to design a palace in 1444. Inside there is an elegant courtyard, a small Italian garden and the famous chapel with Benozzo Gozzoli's fresco the "Procession of the Magi" (1459).
Originally this building, a loggia designed by Arnolfo di Cambio (1209), was a granary and market. Only later did it become a house of worship: the loggia arcades were closed off by Simone Talenti and the exterior embellished with Florentine Gothic sculptures and ediculas.
The Opificio was founded by Ferdinando de' Medici in 1588. It is an important center for the restoration of inlays and mosaics, and it has a fine display of inlays, studies and drawings.
Mercato Centrale di San Lorenzo (food)
Piazza del Mercato Centrale
in winter open also on Saturday afternoon.
Mercato di San Lorenzo
Piazza San Lorenzo and surrounding strets
In winter closed on the Sunday and Monday.
Mercato di Sant'Ambrogio
Mercato delle Pulci o del piccolo antiquariato
Piazza dei Ciompi
In winter closed on the Sunday and Monday.
Mercato del Porcellino
Loggiato del Porcellino via Porta Rossa
Mercato dei Liberi Artisti Artigiani
Giardino di Piazza dei Ciompi
Thu, Fri, Sat and holydays
Mercato delle Piante
Loggiati di Via Pellicceria
Mercato delle Cascine
Arti e mestieri d'Oltrarno
Piazza S. Spirito- Borgo Tegolaio
Second Sunday of each month.